Wednesday 25 June 2008

The Pencil

It was only yesterday that I was reading Coelho. This man has a fantastic sense of language. Like the Flowing River- that is what I was reading and the words in it were indeed free flowing they echoed the gush of the water in the rivers and had enough for all to enjoy. If you burn down to assessing the content - yes it is didactic but a world that is fast losing its halo of ethics and virtues it seems a good read. This is definitely not a review of this work by Coelho. What is fascinating and also the reason why I desired to put it up here is that particular story about the 'Pencil'. Of all the qualities of the pencil that the elderly person shares with the young mind, the final one is " the pencil leave s a mark". At this point something choked me - when you try too hard to leave behind a mark you finally end up " leav(ing) the world unseen". Some kind of premonition struck me- "is this the end?"

No comments: